Friday, July 24, 2009

Its Pat ( Buchanan) and other 100% Unhelpful Bullshit


Recently while on the Rachel Maddow Show, the ever disgusting Pat Buchanan made this comment in reference to Sonia Sotomayor, who he claims is an affirmative action candidate :

Pat Buchanan: “White men were 100 percent of the people that wrote the Constitution, 100 percent of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence, 100 percent of the people who died at Gettysburg and Vicksburg, probably close to 100 percent of the people who died at Normandy. This has been a country built, basically, by white folks.”

If I was Rachel Maddow I probably would have just bitch slapped him but luckily I'm not and she posted this great response in order to "correct mis-information aired on her show".


She doesn't even cover The Navajo Code Talkers without which World War Two would not have gone our way.

Also on this topic - Harvard professor and one of the most prominent African American Scholars, Henry Louis Gates Jr, was arrested this week when trying to pry open his own door which had been jammed. He was arrested after giving proof of residence. Gates has accused the Cambridge police of racial profiling. Its kind of amazing to think about how this happened in one of the most liberal states in our country, imagine the situation everywhere else.
For a time I worked at a job going door to door for a political party and I never had any problem getting people to open doors to me. I realized that being a young blond girl in a nice winter jacket made people much more concerned for my safety than theirs. Yet one of the guys I worked with, who was Jamaican, would have the cops called on him repeatedly. There were evenings we ended early because so many people had called the cops. When Henry Louis Gates Jr. is arrested going into his own house it just shows that there is no escaping this. No matter your income or prestige you will never escape racism. It reminds me of the old stunt Michael Moore set up where he had Denzel Washington trying to hail a cab in New York and very few cabs stopped.
Luckily Obama did actually acknowledge the situation in a speech the other day and said the Cambridge police acted "stupidly". A lot of news sources are saying that was unprofessional wording but I'm not sure I've ever felt happier about something he's said. Most presidents would say they don't know all the details so they can't really comment but luckily times are changing - even if its a little too slow for me.



No comments: